The intersection of Main and 5th streets is Fort Worth’s art deco junction.
The Sinclair Building was built in 1930 by oilman Richard Otto Dulaney, president of Planet Petroleum Company and Fort Ring Oil and Gas Company, and designed by architect Wiley Clarkson. (Dulaney in 1927 had built the Petroleum Building, designed by architect Wyatt Hedrick.)
Originally the building was called the “Dulaney Building”; $750,000 would be $10.7 million today.
On July 11, 1930 another oil company—Sinclair—announced that it would open its southwestern headquarters on October 1 in the Dulaney Building, which henceforth would be called the “Sinclair Building.” Clip is from the July 12 Dallas Morning News.
On November 17, 1930 the Dallas Morning News radio schedule showed that WBAP would broadcast the formal opening of the Sinclair Building at 10:15 a.m., right after “Amos ’n’ Andy.”
The Sinclair Building opened on November 17, 1930.
As was the custom, local businesses placed congratulatory ads in the local newspapers.
On Elizabeth Boulevard stands Richard Otto Dulaney’s home (1923), designed by Raphael E. Nicholais, a native of Italy.
Some views of the Sinclair Building:
Deux decos: the Kress Building and the Sinclair Building.