Wesley Capers Stripling was born in Carroll County, Georgia in 1859. His father William was a farmer.
During the Civil War in 1862 father William was killed at the Battle of Crampton’s Gap in Maryland, and young Wesley soon after went to work helping a farmer. But when Stripling was eighteen he moved from behind a plow to behind a counter: He and a cousin opened a general store. Stripling moved to Texas in 1884, operating a dry goods store first in Alvord, then Sunset, then Bowie. In 1893 he opened a “branch” store on Houston Street in Fort Worth, historian Oliver Knight wrote, after meeting William Monnig when both merchants were on a buying trip in Baltimore. In 1899 Stripling moved his family from Bowie to Fort Worth. (Bowie also sent us G. W. Haltom and Amon Carter.)
AWOL apostrophes notwithstanding, “If Stripling says its so—its so.” Ad is from the February 14, 1897 Fort Worth Register.
A whangdoodle is a fanciful creature mentioned in a mock sermon (“Where the lion roareth and the whangdoodle mourneth for her first-born”) attributed to journalist William P. Brannan about 1856. Ad is from the May 2, 1897 Register.
The Stripling store on Houston Street in the 1890s. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Library.)
Houston Street was a veritable mall of dry goods stores, as the 1896 city directory shows.
In this costumed group photo taken on the stage at old Evans Hall, Mrs. and Mr. Stripling are numbered “14” and “15.” (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Library.)
The Striplings lived in River Crest and were often in the society pages. Stripling was an early investor in—and a board member of—Amon Carter’s newspaper.
The Stripling drug department had its own bottles.
In the June 30, 1901 Dallas Morning News Stripling advertised the “correct corset for every occasion.”
In 1901 employee baseball teams of the Stripling and Monnig stores played a benefit game at T&P Ball Park on the sprawling Texas & Pacific reservation south of downtown. Clip is from the August 29 Register.
Stripling employees attended a picnic at Lake Como in 1910. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Library.)
In 1909 the department store got a new home.
This full-page ad in the March 19, 1920 Star-Telegram featured a Universal combination range that “burns coal, wood or gas at the same time or individually.”
Full-page ad in the Fort Worth Press on March 3, 1947. Stripling’s (“Fort Worth’s Quality Department Store”), like Monnig’s (“The Friendly Store”), was more upscale than down-home Leonard’s (“More Merchandise for Less Money”) and Leonard-owned Everybody’s (“The Store Where Everybody Saves”).
Ad is from 1960.
Wesley Capers Stripling died on February 9, 1934. Son Will K. took over the business. Clip is from the February 10 Star-Telegram.
W. D. Smith photos from Fort Worth in Pictures, 1940.
Stripling’s much-expanded 1937 downtown store was demolished in 1979 to make way for the Worthington Hotel. (Photo from Tarrant County College Northeast Heritage Room.)
It was all over in less than twenty seconds as five hundred pounds of explosives leveled eighty-six years of history.
The Stripling company joined the mall movement after Katy Lake was drained to build Seminary South in 1962 and after Northeast Mall opened in Hurst in 1971. But in 1983 the Stripling stores merged with the R. E. Cox stores, and the combined business (owned by Dunlap) hung up the “closed” sign about 2007. Clip is from the June 29, 1975 Dallas Morning News.
W. C. Stripling is buried in Greenwood Cemetery.