Neighborhood grocery stores. Remember them? Not that long ago every neighborhood had at least one grocery store. Usually they were on a corner. Sometimes they were tiny, no larger than the houses that surrounded them; sometimes the proprietor lived in the same building. Here is a six-pack of buildings that used to be neighborhood groceries.
Henry Sawyer built this building on South Main at Daggett as a grocery store in 1909 after the great South Side fire of that year destroyed his previous building. He operated a grocery there into the early 1920s.
By 1888 Sawyer already was operating a grocery store and living at that 201 South Main location.
The building that houses the venerable Paris Coffee Shop at 704 Magnolia Street once was Safeway store no. 335.
The coffee shop in 1945 was east of Hemphill at 614 Magnolia.
This building on the near South Side is on May Street, but the main house (in right background) faces West Leuda. The house was built by brick contractor William Graham as his own residence.
About 1920 the Graham outbuilding was converted to house Graham Bros. grocery store. Because the Graham house was built in 1910, the outbuilding may have originally been a carriage house. (Photo from Amon Carter Museum.)
In 1957 this building at 2918 East Rosedale was Safeway store no. 325.
On the near East Side, this building on the corner of Tennessee Avenue at 1201 East Leuda was built about 1911. It long ago lost its face: awning, windows, door.
But almost a century ago Adolph Schilder operated a grocery store in that building. It continued to be a grocery store into the 1930s. Next door lived ex-slave Hattie Cole.
Here are three more from a time when people went to the corner market, not the Central Market:
(Top) William Peavler opened a grocery store across from D. McRae Elementary School at the corner of Millet and Bishop streets in 1920 in a building dating to 1915. It is now a residence.
(Center) John Beckelman ran his grocery store on Little Street from 1932 to 1953. He lived next door.
(Bottom) W. R. Hester ran a grocery store across Alston Avenue from Daggett Elementary School in a building dating to 1922.
There were no shopping carts, no credit card terminals, no “10 items or less” lines.