For the next four days Main Street downtown will host the Main St. Fort Worth Arts Festival. The street will be packed with folks milling about elbow to easel. So, now is a good time to sneak off and explore Fort Worth’s “other” Main streets: Cowtown’s main drag north of the courthouse and south of the Water Gardens.
Downtown Main Street is only one mile long—one-twelfth of the total length of Main Street. Main Street begins at the Fort Worth-Saginaw city limit and stretches southward (with some gaps in commercial zones between Morningside Drive and Seminary Drive) to just past La Gran Plaza (formerly Seminary South). And North and South Main provide plenty of contrast to downtown Main. If downtown Main is MasterCards and manicures, North and South Main are payday loans and calluses. If downtown Main is wingtip shoes, North and South Main are steel-toed boots: metal-recycling plants, rail yards, grain elevators. North Main also has century-old brick architecture, the Stockyards Historic District, and general aviation. South Main also has hospitals, light industry, even a few blocks of middle-class homes.
Let’s start our tour of the “other” Main Streets at the southern end and mosey our way twelve miles north.
Main Street dead-ends in its 4300 block at Thornhill Drive at the home of Manny, Moe, and Jack. As long as we’re here, anyone need spark plugs?
Two miles north at Morningside Drive, South Main has one of Fort Worth’s oldest traffic circles.
At the circle is the 1931 underpass of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy) railroad.
South Main has even a few residential blocks. This stone house at 3400 South Main, with checkered-brick arches and window frames, beaded mortar joints, and a star over the center arch, was built in 1948.
The “new, ultra modern” plant opened in 1957.
Fort Worth once called itself “the grain center of the Southwest.” Easy to see why. Five rows of grain elevators in the 1900 and 2000 blocks form the skyline of South Main Street. The tallest elevator is 180 feet. The South Main Street railroad overpass bisects the three rows of Kimbell Milling Company elevators (left of the overpass) and the two rows of elevators of Producers Grain Corporation, built in the 1920s-1950s.
This grain silo, built in 1962, looms at Maalt Transportation at 2000 South Main. The silo once was part of the Producers Grain Corporation mill.
Across the street the office building of the Kimbell mill was built in 1935.
In 1946 the Star-Telegram wrote that Fort Worth was one of the largest grain storage centers in the nation.
The brick paving of South Main Street survives on the approaches to the railroad overpass between the Kimbell Milling and Producers Grain Corporation elevators.
The 1937 overpass was built to carry South Main over the tracks of the Texas & New Orleans railroad and the Santa Fe railroad.
At 1500 South Main John Peter Smith Hospital opened in 1939 as “City-County Hospital” on land donated by Smith. This photo shows part of the original building at the corner of Main and Feliks Gwozdz Place. The 1939 building is now almost totally engulfed by additions.