Today, while everyone else is downtown for the second day of the Main St. Fort Worth Arts Festival, we continue our tour of the “other” Main streets with a second sashay along South Main (see Part 1).
At 1223-31 South Main (at Magnolia Avenue) is the Newkirk-Wallerich Building (1926).
The 1928 and 1940 city directories show a sampling of the retail businesses that occupied the Newkirk-Wallerich Building during the twentieth century.
Pole position: Sitting atop two poles at S&S Wheel Alignment & Brake Service, this little car is, I am told, a 1932 American Austin. The American Austin was smaller than a full-sized car of the era. In 1935 the American Austin car company became American Bantam. Fowl factoid: Donald Duck’s car, a Belchfire Runabout, was based on the American Bantam.
In 2016 the Octavia Hotel building turned one hundred while hunkered in a state of sublime unoccupancy.
But across the street the old Coca-Cola bottling plant office (1926) has been renovated as part of Highpoint.
Inside the building is a reminder of its past.
At 701 South Main, this unemployed building began its career about 1937 as the American Laundry Company.
The Eagle Steam Bakery Building (1895) features some great brickwork by masons of yore.
In the pre-Ninnie Baird days of 1901 Eagle was one of a half-dozen bakeries in town.
This is the east side of the 200 block, probably the best-preserved row of commercial buildings on South Main. The four buildings from left to right are Sawyer Building (1905), Joyslin Building (1910), and two commercial buildings built in 1926. The Sawyer Building, which housed a neighborhood grocery store, survived the great South Side fire of 1909.
The buildings at 215 and 219 now house Frank Kent Family Offices.
In the 1940s this building on South Main at Vickery Boulevard housed a Safeway neighborhood grocery store. South Main Street at one time was paved with brick. Then the brick was covered with asphalt. But for years a few patches of brick paving remained exposed, such as at Main and Annie streets. Now most, if not all, of that brick paving has been removed as much of South Main has been repaved with concrete.
On the other side of South Main Street there isn’t much to see now but weeds and concrete, but this vacant lot was last occupied by Frank Kent’s Cadillac dealership and, before that, the 1899 Texas & Pacific passenger depot.
Just to the west is the much-arcaded Main Street underpass (1931).
To end our tour of South Main let’s climb up to the top of that underpass for a little larceny. On the Main Street underpass in 1933 O. D. Stevens and colleagues robbed a T&P railroad mail shipment.