It was perhaps the most centrally located neighborhood you never heard of.
North Glenwood was an unincorporated subdivision planned early in the twentieth century by Horace and Lyman Cobb of the Cobb brothers. It was located less than two miles from the courthouse. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Library.)
The Cobb brothers were affluent, lived on Quality Hill, were often mentioned in the society columns. The brothers owned the Cobb brick plant, were officers of the Belcher land mortgage company, owned the O. K. cattle ranch, donated land for Cobb Park, and helped found Glen Garden Country Club. (In the clip’s top paragraph, Belle Bunting was daughter of a developer of Hi Mount. The street Belle Place is named for her.) Clip is from the March 27, 1910 Star-Telegram.
On February 17, 1902 a notary public notarized the Cobb brothers’ 1898 plat, and North Glenwood was primed to be another Cobb brothers success.
North Glenwood, as its name implies, was just north of Glenwood, a similarly unincorporated community southeast of downtown. Glenwood had been developed by Richard L. Vickery in the 1890s. Glenwood prospered, built a public school, had a volunteer fire department and streetcar service to Fort Worth and Polytechnic, enjoyed a popular resort in Tyler’s Lake. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Library.)
Local newspapers reported Glenwood news. Clip is from the May 17, 1907 Telegram.
North Glenwood, on the other hand, was small: just forty-seven lots on five short streets. North Glenwood was bounded by the Texas & Pacific tracks on the south, East Front Street (Lancaster Avenue) on the north, Riverside Drive on the east, and the Waples-Platter canning plants (including the Ranch Style Beans plant) on the west. (1920 map detail from Pete Charlton’s “1000+ Lost Antique Maps of Texas & the Southwest on DVD-ROM.”)
This Waples-Platter ad is from the 1942 city directory.
This aerial photo (looking west) shows sparsely developed North Glenwood in 1939. East Avenue, the only entry to the subdivision, was parallel to the T&P tracks. The Waples-Platter cannery, with its water tower, can be seen to the west. (Photo from UTA Libraries.)
The North Glenwood plat indicates that the Cobbs were counting on Glenwood’s Exeter Street being extended north to North Glenwood, giving North Glenwood an outlet to the south. That extension never happened. North Glenwood was connected to the outside world only by East Avenue, which connected to Riverside Drive on the east.
But North Glenwood did have some selling points. It was near the interurban line—both the line to Dallas and the line to Cleburne. It was just eight blocks from the streetcar line on Vickery Boulevard in Glenwood. Decades later North Glenwood would be less than a mile from the very axis of Fort Worth transportation—the intersection of I-30 and I-35W. And North Glenwood offered a fine vista, especially to the west. Hatch marks on the North Glenwood 1898 plat indicate that the land is on a bluff—an elevation of about forty feet.
By 1904 North glenwood had only a few houses. The Cobb brothers placed this ad for a rental house “on bluff” in 1904. Clip is from the April 26 Telegram.
And in 1909 Rudelle Donaldson of North Glenwood asked Santa for a little boy and a little doll. Clip is from the December 24 Star-Telegram.
But by 1913 you could trade one Jersey cow for two lots in North Glenwood. Clip is from the October 3 Star-Telegram. By 1916 only five of North Glenwood’s forty-seven lots had occupied homes; by 1920 only three. The year 1940 brought a boom to North Glenwood: seven occupied lots. Aerial photos from 1952 onward show at most a half-dozen well-spaced houses.
This 1921 photo of the nearby Hub Furniture factory shows a few scattered homes in North Glenwood to the northeast across the railroad tracks.
This 1952 aerial photo shows only a few houses. Riverside Drive is on the right; Lancaster Avenue is at the top.
The building at the north end of Cobb Street had a diverse career. Retired Fort Worth police sergeant and historian Kevin Foster said, “The building on top of that hill was the Ku Klux Klan building with meetings there as late as the 1940s.”
By 1966 North Glenwood was so deserted that the city closed most of its streets so that G. A. Mortimer could build his seven-story Metropolitan House hotel, which would feature “costumed female ‘Belle-Hops’ equipped with transistor radios.”
But, alas, the belles never hopped: The hotel was not built.
By 1968 the sole occupant of North Glenwood was the Amita Club at 2300 Cobb Street. The Amita Club, formed in 1954, was an Italian-American social organization. Carl Laneri was manager of Fort Worth Macaroni Company.
The building eventually was owned by the Fort Worth Police Officers Association.
By 2001 the only public street connecting North Glenwood to the outside world—East Avenue—had been paved over by a recycling plant. North Glenwood was landlocked.
Today North Glenwood is a ghost town: The only resident of North Glenwood is a Barnett Gathering LP gas well.
And today North Glenwood is even more isolated with U.S. 287 on its western edge and a connector ramp between U.S. 287 and Lancaster Avenue on its north. The big concrete slab is all that remains of the recycling plant that covered much of North Glenwood sometime after 1990.
Stone steps climbing the bluff from Riverside Drive up to North Glenwood are just litter-strewn rubble today.
North Glenwood’s Cobb Street—the brothers’ namesake street—was never paved. Today a dirt path curves up the bluff off Riverside Dive and connects to Cobb Street. This Google aerial photo labels both the street and the path “Cobb St.”
In recent years North Glenwood experienced an ironic population explosion as people with no home pitched their tent or unrolled their bedroll on a street named after brothers whose homes were on Quality Hill.