In 1929, despite the onset of the Great Depression, Fort Worth was flush with money, in part because it was still benefiting from the west Texas oil boom (Ranger 1917, Burkburnett 1918, Desdemona 1918, Breckenridge 1918).
That was the beginning. A drop in the bucket.
Fort Worth quickly became the gateway to the oilfields to the west, providing roustabouts and capital and equipment. The city had nine refineries by 1922 and was home to operators, speculators, and swindlers. Oilmen crowded the big hotels, especially the Westbrook (home of the Golden Goddess), where the hotel management removed the furniture from the lobby to accommodate the petromania. Men such as W. T. Waggoner and Sid Richardson made millions.
A less-remembered oilman was Richard Otto Dulaney, president of Planet Petroleum Company and Fort Ring Oil and Gas Company.
In 1929 construction began on his eponymous Dulaney Building at 512 Main Street. The architect was Wiley Clarkson. (Dulaney in 1927 had built the Petroleum Building, designed by architect Wyatt Hedrick.) ($750,000 would be $10.7 million today.)
On July 11, 1930 another oil company—Sinclair—announced that it would open its southwestern headquarters on October 1 in the Dulaney Building, which henceforth would be called the “Sinclair Building.” Clip is from the July 12 Dallas Morning News.
On November 17, 1930 the Dallas Morning News radio schedule showed that WBAP radio would broadcast the formal opening of the Sinclair Building at 10:15 a.m., right after “Amos ’n’ Andy.”
The Sinclair Building opened on November 17, 1930.
As was the custom, local businesses placed congratulatory ads in local newspapers.
In 1935 Northern Texas Traction Company was a tenant. NTTC also operated Texas Motorcoaches.
On Elizabeth Boulevard stands Richard Otto Dulaney’s home (1923), designed by Raphael E. Nicholais, a native of Italy.
Some views of the Sinclair Building:
The intersection of Main and 5th streets is Fort Worth’s art deco junction. On the southeast corner is the Blackstone Hotel (1929). Across Main from the Blackstone is the Kress Building (1936). And on the northwest corner is the Sinclair Building.
Deux decos: the Kress Building and the Sinclair Building.