On a bluff overlooking the Trinity River just west of downtown two Queen Annes sit side by side like sister monarchs, reigning as reminders of Fort Worth’s silk stocking row. The two houses—elegant anachronisms—are tucked at the end of a dead-end street, as if cornered by the “progress” that over the years has claimed most of their kindred mansions on Quality Hill.
At 1120 Penn Street is the Pollock-Capps house. The house, of red brick and limestone with a slate roof and an octagonal tower, was built in 1899 for homeopathic physician Joseph Robert Pollock.
Newspaper ad is from 1884. City directory listing is from 1899. North Street became Lancaster Avenue in 1931.
On October 1, 1899 the Fort Worth Register society column announced that Mrs. Pollock had moved into her new home on “Summit Hill,” one of the synonyms for Quality Hill, of which Summit Avenue was the main street.
On November 11, 1900 the society column of the Register called Mrs. Pollock’s reception at her new home “the first important event of the social season.”
If the board game of Monopoly had a “Fort Worth 1900” version, the board would have a Penn Street, and putting a house on Penn Street would cost you a wad of play money. The 1900 census lists Dr. Joseph Pollock and his next-door neighbors, “capitalists” Sarah and Frank Ball (and servants), in the Ball-Eddleman-McFarland house.
But in 1910 the Pollocks sold the house to attorney William Capps for $25,500 ($628,000 today). Capps in 1884 had pleaded with the mob who demanded that Jim Courtright be freed and in 1895 had represented the heirs of Minnie Williams in the Dr. Henry Howard Holmes case. The law firm that Capps and Sam Cantey co-founded in 1882 is still in business. Clip is from the February 24 Star-Telegram.
Dr. Pollock died on January 3, 1912. Clip is from the January 3 Star-Telegram.
William Capps died in 1925.
Some views of the Pollock-Capps house:
Sovereigns, sisters, survivors: the Queen Anne Pollock-Capps house and the Queen Anne Ball-Eddleman-McFarland house next door at 1110 Penn Street. Mrs. Sarah Ball and her son Frank built their house as the Pollocks built theirs. Mrs. Ball was a patient of Dr. Pollock. In 1904, when Dr. Pollock could do no more for his patient in this life, he was one of her pallbearers. British-born architect Howard Messer (brother of Arthur Albert Messer, who designed the Spring Palace) designed Ball-Eddleman-McFarland and may have designed Pollock-Capps.
Pollock-Capps as seen from the porch of Ball-Eddleman-McFarland.
Square, diamond, and sawtooth shingles.
More dentil molding and arched, keystoned windows.
The stained glass oculus window on the north side is set in the chimney. See below.
Joseph Robert Pollock is buried in Oakwood Cemetery.
Mrs. Frank M. Anderson (William and Sallie Capps’s daughter Mattie) and her grandchildren in the sitting room in 1958. Mrs. Anderson lived in the house until her death in 1963. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Libraries.)
These interior photos are from the Library of Congress:
Egg-and-dart detail of mantel.
Three views of the stairway.
Stained glass window.