Polytechnic College opened in 1891, became Texas Woman’s College in 1914, Texas Wesleyan College in 1935, and Texas Wesleyan University in 1989.
In 1913 the Methodist church announced that Polytechnic College would become a woman’s college. Male students would be transferred to the new Southern Methodist Church in Dallas. Texas Woman’s College opened on September 24, 1914 with an enrollment of 220. (Polytechnic College was not the first Methodist college in town. Likewise, the Texas Wesleyan College that Polytechnic College became was not the first Texas Wesleyan College in town.) Star-Telegram clips are from September 19, 1913 and September 24, 1914.
The TWC yearbook was the TXWOCO. These pages are from the 1922 edition:
“Popular and best all round.”
Some of the faculty.
Campus buildings, from top left: administration building, science hall, gymnasium, Ann Waggoner Hall, conservatory, Dan Waggoner Hall, Mulkey Hall, college church.
The administration building (1903) is now Oneal-Sells Administration Building.
Dan Waggoner Hall (1917) now houses the School of Education.
And today the “college church” is Ann Waggoner Fine Arts Auditorium (1909, Sanguinet and Staats). The 1909 church replaced the church built when the college opened in 1891. Ownership of the building was transferred to the college in 1923.
The words “Polytechnic Methodist Church” still appear below the pediment.
Sophomore class sponsor, president, and mascot.
Some of the class of ’25. The yearbook was not big on first names. See the Martel at the bottom of the page? She was eighteen then. She would become a Poly High institution.
That institution was Evalyn Martel. Sisters Evalyn and Maurine were teaching at Poly High by 1930 (in the Nashville Avenue building) and still at the school in 1965 (in the Conner Avenue building).
In 1930 the sisters were living at home with their parents on North Street (Lancaster). Maurine was born in 1898, Evalyn in 1904. Maurine would die in 1966. Evalyn, who would retire in 1969 after forty-three years at Poly High (teacher, dean of girls, vice principal), would celebrate her 106th birthday on March 14, 2010. She would die the next day.
Preacher’s daughters (no first names, please), Glee Club, and orchestra. These young women would be centenarians now.
Sports. Note how sparsely developed the area was in 1922. Fort Worth annexed Poly that year.
Could those be tombstones of Polytechnic Cemetery behind the javelin thrower? If so, she was standing just west of Bishop Street at the northeast corner of the campus.
The interurban ran just north of the campus.
In fact, there was a College Hill stop for the interurban just west of the Tandy Lake stop. (Map detail from Pete Charlton’s “1000+ Lost Antique Maps of Texas & the Southwest on DVD-ROM.”)
The campus also was served by the Polytechnic streetcar line, which ran from downtown through Glenwood along Vickery Boulevard and Nashville to Avenue E at Wesleyan Street. (1905 plat detail from Pete Charlton’s “1000+ Lost Antique Maps of Texas & the Southwest on DVD-ROM.”)
TWC graduated thirty-three seniors in 1922. Clip is from the May 28 Star-Telegram.