These buildings yoostabe fire halls.
The 1907 fire hall replaced an 1877 fire hall on that site that also housed Fort Worth’s first city hall and a small city jail. Among those who served in that 1877 building were Peter Smith, Jim Courtright, and disgraced Mayor William S. Pendleton.
Fire hall no. 1 opened on December 2, 1907. (The fire hall was located in the First Ward, not the Second.) Clip is from the December 2 Telegram.
After the South Side fire of 1909, Fort Worth built several neighborhood fire halls. No. 5 (1911) on Bryan Avenue is just four blocks east of where the fire began. This station replaced an earlier station. The building now houses BlackEyed Distilling Company.
The motorized men of fire hall no. 5. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Libraries.)
Sanguinet and Staats provided the city with a design that was used for three fire halls, two of which survive. At 2804 Lipscomb Street is fire hall no. 10 (1910). Today the building houses an adult education center of the Fort Worth school district.
No. 10 when it was new and horse power still reined supreme. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Libraries.)
No. 10’s twin is no. 12 on Prospect Avenue (1910). In recent years the building housed Station 12 Child Development Center.
No. 12 when it was new. Note the unpaved street. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Libraries.)
The third sibling was no. 13 on East Hattie Street. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Libraries.)
Nearby on Avenue I, the new no. 14 (1938). Now houses YWCA Polytechnic Child Development Center.
On Meadowbrook Drive, no. 20 (1928), designed by Wiley Clarkson. Now houses Firehouse Pottery & Gallery.
On New York Avenue, no. 7 (1930). Now houses Fellowship Corner.
On Wichita Street, no. 4 (1955). Now a private residence.
In the 1920s Fort Worth built several neighborhood fire halls that looked like bungalows and blended with their residential surroundings. On Belmont Avenue, this is fire hall no. 15 (1922). This fire hall and the five that follow were designed by Charles F. Allen.
Built in 1923, fire station no. 8 at 1601 Lipscomb Street in Fairmount is a community center.
On Fulton Street is no. 6 (1923).
On Park Place Avenue is no. 16 (1922). Now houses the Art Station.
On Ryan Avenue is no. 17 (1923). The much-modified building in later years housed an electric company. Note the WAlnut exchange on the sign.
No yoostabe here: The bungalow fire hall on Carleton Street in Arlington Heights is still on duty. No. 18 was built in 1923.