“Built on the Rock, the church shall stand
even when steeples are falling,”
the old hymn begins, and on this Easter Sunday we can count among our blessings the preservation of two buildings that still stand to evoke a bygone era of river baptisms, brush arbor revivals, and “the little brown church in the vale.”
St. Paul Lutheran Church on Cannon Street on the near South Side was built in 1919 and housed a German-speaking congregation until the early 1950s. The building now houses a law firm.
Ireland Street is now Cannon Street.
The old church building on Cannon Street has interesting neighbors. Within one block are the 1904 Maxwell-Liston Queen Anne house at 712 May Street, a 1905 Daverman planbook house at 708 May Street, the 1905 William Monnig house at 312 West Leuda Street, and the 1910 William Graham house with former grocery store (circa 1920) at 401 West Leuda.
Some views of the St. Paul Lutheran Church building:
And below is the sanctuary of Church of Christ the King & All Saints’ on Lackland Road:
The building was built in 1907 as the First Methodist Church of Buckner in Parker County. After its service as a church, the building served as a hay barn for nineteen years.
In 1975 the wooden building was sawed into five sections, moved to Fort Worth, and reassembled. In 1976 the building was restored and resumed its life as a church.
Some views of Church of Christ the King & All Saints’:
(Thanks to members of Church of Christ the King & All Saints’ for their hospitality.)