These houses on the East Side are at least one hundred years old:
Weiler house, 1906, Handley Drive. William Weiler was a Handley civic leader and banker. His wife Rose operated the post office next door.
Barnett house, 1913, East 4th Street. Louis E. Barnett was a car inspector for the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway.
Boaz house, 1913, Carter Avenue. William J. Boaz was a developer and banker.
Gibbons house, 1913, East Morphy. Harry Gibbons was a contractor’s foreman.
1800 East Leuda Street at Riverside Drive, 1908, in Glenwood. First owner was John Keeton, a carpenter. The Keetons were active in Glenwood. Son Lemuel L. Keeton was pastor of Glenwood Baptist Church. Son Harry Keeton owned Fort Worth Broom Company in Glenwood.
Harry Keeton also was active in real estate. For a house on the Glenwood-Polytechnic streetcar line, Keeton was willing to take a “good cow” as a first payment. Railroad Avenue today is Vickery Boulevard.
Hollis house, 1907, Avenue E. Paul Hollis invented Poly Pop.
Percy-Livingston house, 1908, Ernest Street. Five-sided central dormer, conical roof with finial, antique fence. Sterling Percy was a real estate agent.
The Percy-Livingston house is just northwest of Sycamore Park and the site of the water works of the city of Polytechnic. (Map detail from Pete Charlton’s “1000+ Lost Antique Maps of Texas & the Southwest on DVD-ROM.”)
Hargrave-Meissner house, 1910, Avenue B just around the corner from Meissner Funeral Home on Nashville Avenue. C. Edward Hargrave was a salesman. George P. Meissner, a clerk for the Railway Mail Service, was the father of James Raymond Meissner of the funeral home.
The final three are on Conner Avenue north of Poly High School:
Wofford house, 1910, Conner Avenue. Owner J. B. Wofford rented this house. Note the single, oversized dormer.
Conner house, 1910, Conner Avenue. Sallie Conner, who platted the area in 1913, was the first owner.
Boles house, 1907, Conner Avenue. Lewis P. Boles worked for the Fort Worth and Denver City Railroad.