Indiana limestone has seldom been more imposing:
The Masonic Temple on Henderson Street at Lancaster Avenue is as formidable as any structure in Fort Worth.
On September 10, 1930 local Masons met at the South Side lodge on Magnolia Avenue to inspect the plans for a new temple. Architect was fellow Mason Wiley Clarkson. Clip is from the September 12 Dallas Morning News.
On November 14 Masons broke ground for the $700,000 ($10 million today) temple (just two weeks after Clarkson’s First United Methodist Church opened five blocks away).
In May 1931 work began on the temple, the cost of which had risen to $1 million ($15 million today). The clip indicates that six thousand Masons would use the temple. Fort Worth’s population in 1930 was 163,447.
Clip is from the September 27, 1931 Dallas Morning News.
The cornerstone of the temple was laid on September 26, 1931, the cost again estimated at $700,000 ($10 million today). Note that a concert was presented by the Masonic Home and School.
The temple was completed in 1932. One of its first events was the Masons’ annual spring “ceremonial.”
On September 20, 1931 the Dallas Morning News provided some history of Masonry in Fort Worth. The first lodge, Lodge 148, was chartered in 1855. At first members met above a tavern operated by Lawrence Steel on the town square. But the lodge soon built a small building in the block bounded by East Belknap, Grove, East Bluff, and Jones streets (a historical marker at West Belknap and Houston streets says the building was located there). The lodge met on the second floor. The ground floor was used for school classes and church services. The lodge’s first master was Julian Feild.
A roster of early members of Lodge 148 was a who’s who of Fort Worth. To show how active Masons were in early Fort Worth, these members are treated elsewhere at Hometown by Handlebar: Carroll M. Peak, Julian Feild, David Mauck, Lawrence Steel, John Peter Smith, E. M. Daggett, Henry Clay Daggett, Charles B. Daggett, Sam Woody, Ed S. Terrell, Middleton Tate Johnson, Matthew Jackson Brinson, George Saunders, Charles Turner, A. Y. Fowler. (Clip from Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Texas, From Its Organization in . . . 1837 . . . to . . . 1857, 1857.)
This Star-Telegram clip shows that the original 1855 Masonic lodge building was still standing in 1932. Pity that building could not have been moved out of the way of progress and preserved as the oldest public structure in Fort Worth.
Among the treasures in the 1932 temple is the Masonic bell (cast in 1782) from that first lodge hall.
Some more views of the Masonic Temple (now called the “Masonic Center”):
Architecturally the building is “a little bit country, a little bit rock and roll”: stepped like an Egyptian ziggurat, some art deco elements, . . .
. . . some classical elements, as in these keystones, dentil molding, and ionic columns.
Main entrance doors.