By March 12, 1911 John C. Ryan had been developing parts of Fort Worth for twenty years: Washington Heights, Prospect Heights, Lexington Heights.
Ad is from the 1891 Fort Worth Gazette.
Ad is from 1903.
Ryan, born in South Carolina in 1865, had moved to Fort Worth in 1883 and had worked for merchant B. C. Evans briefly before entering real estate. Ryan was buying and selling land before he was twenty and eventually was the largest owner of suburban property in town. Before he was forty years old he had developed Washington Heights, Lexington Heights, and Prospect Heights. And by 1910 in terms of his own residential address Ryan indeed had reached the heights: Ryan, wife Elizabeth, four sons, and three servants lived at 1302 Pennsylvania Avenue on Quality Hill.
On one end of the block was Dr. John H. McLean, a partner of Dr. Clay Johnson. At the other end of the block was millionaire capitalist James F. Moore. In between were architect Louis B. Weinman, who had designed the Moore house, cotton broker Morris E. Berney, and Dr. W. B. West, whose son would marry James F. Moore’s daughter.
But John C. Ryan was about to develop Fort Worth’s next Quality Hill . . .
On March 12, 1911 John C. Ryan announced his most ambitious project yet: Ryan Place. This clip is from the March 12, 1911 Star-Telegram.
The area now bounded by Jessamine Street and Berry Street and by 8th Avenue and College Avenue was just grassland when Ryan envisioned a restricted (whites only) residential development for Fort Worth’s bankers, oilmen, ranchers, and others who prospered during the boom of the early twentieth century.
(By October 1911 there was still plenty of grassland in Ryan Place: On October 17 barnstormer Cal Rodgers landed his biplane, the Vin Fiz, in “Ryan’s pasture” as Rodgers made the first transcontinental flight across the United States. “Vin Fiz” was also the name of a grape soft drink bottled by the meatpacking company Armour, Rodgers’s sponsor.)
Cal Rodgers, left, and John C. Ryan, right.
The showcase street of Ryan Place, of course, would be Elizabeth Boulevard, named for Mrs. Ryan, the former Elizabeth Willing, who had the distinction of having an intersection named for her in a subdivision named for her husband.
One of those “prominent Fort Worth oilmen” who lived in Ryan Place was Richard Otto Dulaney.
Dulaney’s house (1923) is at 1001 Elizabeth Boulevard, the first property on the left inside the east entrance.
The total cost of the house, designed by Raphael E. Nicholais, was expected to surpass $100,000 ($1.4 million today).
The Cobb-Harris brick company supplied the interlocking tile.
The house was designed in Mediterranean revival style. Many of its building materials were imported from Italy. Architect Nicholais knew a thing or two about Italian style: He was a native of Italy.
Nicholais had been a student of the Society of Beaux-Arts Architects in 1909.
The seven blocks of Elizabeth Boulevard have only forty-four homes, several of them designed by architect Wiley Clarkson. At 2517 Ryan Place Drive, this was Clarkson’s own house (1928).
The entry gates (west gates shown in top photo) at each end of Elizabeth Boulevard were designed by Sanguinet and Staats. The larger piers of the east gates (middle photo) have been replaced with street lamps since the 1911 sketch. Bottom photo shows the gates on 6th Avenue at Jessamine Street.
The house at 1112 was the first built on Elizabeth Boulevard, finished in 1911. Note the hitching post.
Elsewhere around Ryan Place, this was the home (1926) of numismatist Max Mehl at 2512 South Adams, designed by Charles O. Chromaster of the firm of Wiley G. Clarkson.
The entry of the home (1922) of Dr. William C. Duringer at 2508 Ryan Place Drive. Clarkson is thought to have designed the house.
The Melat house (1923) at 2600 Ryan Place Drive, designed by Joseph R. Pelich.
Another Pelich house (1922) at 2622 5th Avenue.
The house (1922) of oilman Floyd J. Holmes at 2516 Ryan Place Drive, designed by Clarkson.
The Floyd J. Holmes house again.
The Davis house (1919) at 2416 Ryan Place Drive.
At 2420 College Avenue, the Sandidge-Walker house (1921).
A detail of 2508 College Avenue.
The Steele house (1926) at 2512 College Avenue.
The James-Fujita house (1915) at 2530 College Avenue. Thomas B. James owned the Board of Trade saloon. Kanetaro Fujita was president of a cotton-exporting company.
Across the street from the James-Fujita house.
And this is the Ryan place in Ryan Place: In 1915 Ryan built this Italian renaissance house for himself and his wife on the street named for her. Five bedrooms, six thousand square feet. The house is 107 years old.
But the Ryans did not live on Elizabeth Boulevard long. By 1920 they were back on Quality Hill, living on 8th Avenue.
By 1928 the Ryans had moved back to his Ryan Place and a house at 2530 Ryan Place Drive, built in 1917 and previously occupied by John C. Ryan Jr.
John C. Ryan died on February 11, 1928. Note that Ryan’s doctor was K. H. Beall.
John C. Ryan