Architect Wyatt Hedrick (see Part 1) designed three schools in 1934-1935.
Riverside High School opened in 1936.
The school was renamed “Amon Carter Riverside High School.” The building is Spanish baroque style.
Especially handsome are the entries of the building.
Meadowbrook Elementary and Junior High School opened in 1936:
There once was a brook in Meadowbrook. This 1920 USDA soil map shows three small lakes fed by streams:
The top lake is White Lake. The middle lake is Fosdick Lake. The bottom lake is smack dab where Meadowbrook Elementary School would be built sixteen years later. (Map detail from Pete Charlton’s “The Lost Antique Maps of Texas: Fort Worth & Tarrant County, Volume 2” CD.)
North Hi Mount Elementary School opened in 1935.
Mission-style parapet of the entrance of North Hi Mount on West 7th Street.
Bas-relief over a back door of North Hi Mount. The building was constructed by the federal Public Works Administration.
Today we know this downtown building as the YWCA, but Hedrick designed it in 1928 as the hall of lodge 134, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks:
The YWCA bought the building in 1955.
Like Hedrick’s T&P passenger terminal, this building has an ornate interior, especially the ballroom.