To our credit, we have preserved some of our oldest school buildings. Here is one from each side of town:
North: Denver Avenue Elementary School (now Rufino Mendoza Sr. Elementary School) was built in 1910 as the “15th District School” when the advent of the two packing plants caused a population explosion on the North Side.
South: Daggett Elementary School, built in 1909, is the oldest Fort Worth school building that is still used for its original purpose. Additions to the building have included a wing in 1926, designed by Wiley G. Clarkson. The school is named for Ephraim Merrell Daggett (1810-1883).
East: At a mere ninety, this is the baby in this batch. Tandy Elementary School on Purington was built in 1922 by the Polytechnic school district and named for Poly civic leader George Tandy (1846-1921). The school closed in the 1970s. The building is now part of a retirement home.
West: This school building on El Campo Avenue, designed by Sanguinet and Staats, was built in 1909 by the Arlington Heights Independent School District. When the city of Fort Worth annexed Arlington Heights in 1922, the district was absorbed into the Fort Worth school district. The school was originally called “Arlington Heights Public School” and housed all grades, but after annexation it became Arlington Heights Elementary School. It is now part of the school district’s Boulevard Heights Transition Center. (Note the old-fashioned drinking fountain.)
If you know this one, go to the head of the class. This building is the joker in the hand. It’s not in Fort Worth. It’s the Old Bedford School, built in 1915 and closed in 1969. It has been restored and houses a visitors center, museum, meeting rooms, and a 1915-era classroom.