In the beginning the primary architectural style on Grand Avenue was the wood-frame bungalow. But as construction along the avenue continued after 1906 (see Part 2), construction materials such as shingles, brick, and stone were used more, and houses became larger. These houses were built between 1910 and 1930:
The house below was built in 1917 by Waddy R. Ross at the corner of Park Street and Grand Avenue. Ross made a fortune selling horses and mules to the military during both world wars. At five thousand square feet, the house is one of the largest on the North Side.
By this point on Grand Avenue the size of the homes and the view to the west have reached their maximum, and the main thoroughfare of 1906’s “new Quality Hill” has lived up to its lofty name. And here the Grand tour ends.