On November 14, 1937 Evan Stanley Farrington died at age forty-six. Appropriately, the man who had been the Fort Worth school district’s director of physical education for fourteen years died after attending a football game.
Farrington was born in Lewisville in 1891. He graduated from Baylor in 1912.
By 1916 he was superintendent of Grapevine schools. In 1918 he was superintendent of the Lancaster school district.
By 1922 Farrington was a coach at North Side High School.
A year later he had left North Side High and was downtown—as director of athletics.
This Star-Telegram column of April 1937 tells how Farrington began the citywide public schools relay race competition.
Farrington died on November 14, 1937 just after winning approval for a new all-city high school stadium. Farrington lived on the street named for one of the two men (Dr. E. M. Waits) who delivered his eulogy.
In March 1938 the Star-Telegram announced plans for the groundbreaking ceremony for Farrington Field.
Consigned to a list of city briefs on March 13 was the groundbreaking ceremony, which featured ten-year-old son Stanley Farrington.
Farrington Field opened on September 15, 1939 as twelve thousand fans watched the Amarillo Golden Sandies beat the Paschal Panthers.
Architect Preston M. Geren designed the building in classical moderne style. The Works Progress Administration and school district jointly funded the $244,000 project.
Local artist Evaline Sellors sculpted relief sculptures of two athletes for the facade of the stadium. Sellors modeled the male on Samuel Adrian “Slingin’ Sammy” Baugh, who was a football star at TCU 1934-1936.