Roll Model: All Aboard the Crimson Limited (Part 2)

After interurban service to Dallas ended in 1934, Northern Texas Traction Company’s car no. 25 was sold and converted into a residence on Eagle Mountain Lake (see Part 1). Lee Lavell of the T transit system and North Texas Historic Transportation said NTHT members, with the help of a few T employees, required about five years to restore the car and get it back onto its wheels.

Car no. 25 is on display at the Intermodal Transportation Center downtown. Any restoration project involves scavenger hunts to find needed parts. NTHT found the trucks (motor, drive train, and wheel assemblies) for car no. 25 on a scrapped car in Indiana.

Two closer views of car no. 25.

Seats of restored car no. 25. (Photo by Lee Lavell.)

Overhead lights and ad placards of car no. 25. (Photo by Lee Lavell.)

Real wood, real shiny. (Photo by Lee Lavell.)

A stained-glass window of car no. 25.

A plaque beside car no. 25 lists people involved in the car’s restoration.

With new paint outside and polished wood inside, in 2002 the car was delivered to the ITC, where it is the centerpiece of Fort Worth’s ground-transportation hub. It sits there as the patriarch of local mass transit, the point where city buses, Greyhound buses, taxi cabs, automobiles, the Trinity Railway Express, and Amtrak trains converge. Car no. 25 probably doesn’t even miss the lake.

Posts About Trains and Trolleys

This entry was posted in Downtown, Downtown, All Around, Life in the Past Lane, Rails 'n' Roundhouses. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Roll Model: All Aboard the Crimson Limited (Part 2)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *