He was born in Missouri in 1847. When he migrated to Tarrant County at age twenty-one, he could neither read nor write. He worked as a woodchopper along the river.
Winfield Scott did not chop wood long. Like many of Fort Worth’s early wealthy men, Scott moved into cattle. Clip is from the 1878 city directory.
On October 10, 1888 the Fort Worth Gazette reported that Scott was holding twelve thousand steers over the winter.
On October 19, 1906 the Telegram declared Scott the biggest taxpayer in the city ($8,600 would be $219,000 today). Texas had plenty of two resources: cattle and land. Scott made a fortune in each.
In the 1907 city directory one word—in boldface—about Scott said it all: “capitalist.”
Just as Scott did not remain a woodchopper, he did not remain illiterate.
Which brings us to this curio. In 1910 Scott wrote this public letter to Mr. and Mrs. W. I. Cook of rural Albany, Texas. I don’t know how the Scotts and Cooks knew each other, but Scott and Cook were cattlemen, and Scott owned gins in Anson and Stamford in west Texas, not far from Albany in terms of Texas distance.
In the letter printed in the Star-Telegram on April 30 Scott describes an aeroplane he has bought and a planned trip that will take the Scott family and two “aeroplane chauffeurs” over the Cook ranch. Scott promises to “fire our machine gun when we pass you” “from 800 to 1,000 feet high.” Bear in mind that Fort Worth’s first powered flight would not be made until January 12, 1911.
Scott also was a commercial developer. He owned the (original) Worth, Metropolitan, and Terminal hotels. The Worth and Metropolitan were on Main Street on blocks flanking today’s Hotel Texas. (Images from Greater Fort Worth and the 1914 city directory.)
In March 1911 Scott asked permission to dig a tunnel under 8th Street to connect the Worth and the Metropolitan. He also planned to tear down the south end of the Worth Hotel and build an even bigger hotel there.
Winfield Scott died before he could build his new hotel on Main Street at 8th Street. So, his widow and other local financiers took up the plan and built the Winfield Hotel. But before the hotel was opened in 1921 it was renamed the “Hotel Texas.”
On Main at 5th street Scott also owned the 1895 Scott-Harrold Building, which would be remodeled to house a Cox’s department store next to the 1936 Kress Building. E. B. Harrold was a fellow cattleman-capitalist. (Photo from University of Texas at Arlington Library.)
Scott also owned property in Hell’s Half Acre. When Scott died and was eulogized by many, preacher J. Frank Norris criticized Scott for owning property in the Acre and for supporting liquor and gambling.
Scott also owned the 1890 Winfree Building, second home of the White Elephant Saloon.
He also built the Plaza Hotel (1908).
In this ad in the 1907 city directory Scott is listed as a director of the Protestant Sanitarium, located at the corner of Main and Vickery streets. Scott also owned cottonseed oil mills and cotton gins and Scotland, a ranch of fourteen thousand acres located eighteen miles southwest of downtown about where Winscott Road, Winscott-Plover Road, and the tiny community of Winscott are located today.
In the 1890s Scott had a fine house on Lamar Street where the downtown YMCA (1924, Clarkson) is located. The Y’s cornerstone (see inset) commemorates that fact.
In 1904 another local millionaire, W. T. Waggoner, had the $46,000 ($1.1 million today), eleven thousand-square-foot “honeymoon cottage” that today we call “Thistle Hill” built for his daughter Electra and her husband, A. B. Wharton. Wharton that year opened one of Fort Worth’s first auto liveries (automobile dealerships). Marshall Sanguinet and Carl Staats, Fort Worth’s leading architects, designed Thistle Hill in Georgian revival style. The house is one of the few survivors on Quality Hill.
The grounds included a brick carriage house (still standing) and a lighthouse-like water tower, seen in this photo from Greater Fort Worth.
In 1911 Winfield Scott bought the property from the Whartons for $90,000 ($2.2 million today) and began renovating the mansion.
Scott lived in this house on 8th Avenue as the mansion was being renovated.
This April 22, 1911 Star-Telegram article says Scott intended to move into the mansion in October.
But before Scott and his family could move into the mansion, he died on October 26, 1911. Clip is from the October 27 Dallas Morning News.
In 1913 Scott’s widow had a $15,000 ($348,000 today) mausoleum designed by Sanguinet and Staats, who had designed Thistle Hill. Clip is from the April 3 Star-Telegram.
Winfield Scott spent little, if any, time in his dream house on Pennsylvania Avenue. In Oakwood Cemetery, overlooking the river along which he had chopped wood as an illiterate young man, stands his consolation prize.