Today, while everyone else is downtown for day 3 of the Main St. Fort Worth Arts Festival, we continue our tour of the “other” Main streets, beginning at the Trinity River and moseying north (see Part 1, Part 2).
Arch of the viaduct.
Paddock Viaduct under a blue moon.
The old power plant.
From 1920 to 1933 the building at 2411-13 North Main housed a Piggly Wiggly grocery store. Note the brickwork above the windows.
Another former Piggly Wiggly store at 1342 North Main.
The building at 1540 North Main, now a restaurant, was built in 1913 and has housed a Lions Club, a Fort Worth public library, and other municipal offices.
Well-preserved ghost sign on the alley wall of the Maverick Hotel (1906) at Exchange Avenue.
(North Main, like several other Fort Worth streets, was paved with bricks made in Thurber. Watch a 1930s silent documentary on the Thurber brick plant. Fort Worth’s North Main Street is shown at the time remaining of -1:00.)
Corner of the Thannisch Block Building.
Bench made from doors.
On the north wall of the Lehman Dry Goods Company building (1919) at 2457 North Main is a ghost sign advertising Royal Crown Cola: “best by taste-test.” The wall sign probably looked like the vintage metal sign in the inset.
Masonic Stockyard lodge 1244 (1910) at 2408 North Main.
Detail of the Auto Tire and Top Building (1929).
Formal entrance to the Stockyards area.
North Mane: Horse at Ryon’s Saddle & Ranch Supply.
Merchants Exchange Building (1911).
Two denizens of the Stockyards area on North Main.