On April 6, 1917 the United States declared war on Germany.
Within weeks after war was declared, Fort Worth would have two very tangible parts of the war to support, of course: By midsummer Camp Bowie would be training troops of the Army’s 36th Division, turning sons into Sammies. And cadets of the Royal Flying Corps of Great Britain would be training at Camp Taliaferro.
Fort Worth would support the war effort in other ways, too.
But on the day war was declared, these headlines show Fort Worth’s immediate response to President Wilson’s declaration. Suddenly Old Glory was on display, firemen were drilling, the local Red Cross was stepping up activity, soldiers were being recruited, and pretty girls were bidding farewell to troops.
That “at war” issue of the Star-Telegram also included this tiny article. Among the German colonists in central Texas in the late nineteenth century had been the family of Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg (1856-1921). By the time America declared war on Germany on April 6, 1917, Hollweg was chancellor of Germany, the right-hand man of Kaiser Wilhelm! Hollweg and his family owned property in McLennan, Falls, and Limestone counties. After war was declared, the chancellor sold some of his Texas property; some of his property was confiscated. In 1918 some of his property was sold by his U.S. agent, who used the proceeds to buy U.S. Liberty bonds, which, of course, funded the war against Germany.
America goes to war: