Say the words King and Pangburn to longtime Fort Worth residents, and their sweet tooth might begin to throb.
John Porter King, born in Brenham, opened his candy factory on East 9th Street in 1905. His Southern Cold Storage and Produce Company sold and wholesale produce. Clip is from the June 7, 1905 Telegram.
Ad is from the March 11, 1909 Star-Telegram.
Hugh T. Pangburn, born in Dallas, operated a drugstore on Houston Street, selling patent medicines such as Herbine. Clip is from the November 13, 1902 Telegram.
In 1914 Pangburn began manufacturing ice cream. In the kitchen of his drugstore that year he also whipped up the first batch of what would become Pangburn’s Millionaires candies. His recipe included pecans, milk chocolate, caramel, and honey. In 1915 Pangburn added a candy factory to the ice cream factory on West 7th Street. The Pangburn brand is now owned by the Russell Stover company. Clip is from the November 21, 1915 Star-Telegram.
John Porter King, who had also been county clerk and had developed the Oakhurst section of Sylvania, died in 1948. King’s son John Jr. took over the company after King Sr. died. After the company closed the building housed an antiques mall. Clip is from the August 11, 1948 Dallas Morning News.
Hugh T. Pangburn died in 1928.
The two candy kings are buried just a bonbon’s throw apart in Greenwood Cemetery.