The building we know today as the “Burk Burnett Building” on Main Street downtown opened in 1914 as the “State National Bank Building.”
Designed by Sanguinet and Staats, the building has a steel frame that allowed this early skyscraper to soar to a dizzying twelve stories.
But the bank failed in 1915, and cowman capitalist Samuel Burk Burnett bought the building and renamed it for himself. As builders turned more to steel framing, soon the Burk Burnett Building was overshadowed—literally—by buildings such as the twenty-story Waggoner Building, built by another cowman capitalist, W. T. Waggoner.
State National Bank built its first home on Main at 4th Street in 1884. S. B. Haggart, who would later partner with Marshall Sanguinet, was the architect. Clip is from the April 25, 1884 Gazette.
The bank was organized in June 1884.
The 1884 home of State National Bank. Clip is from the December 12, 1909 Star-Telegram. Among the directors of the bank was Marion Sansom.
On June 15, 1913 the Star-Telegram featured the steel frame of the new State National Bank Building among major construction projects in town (bottom row right). Other buildings under construction included the new First Baptist Church building (upper row left) and attorney/publisher William Capps’s Denver-Record Building (bottom row middle). Capps’s law office would be in the State National Bank Building.
The building as shown in the May 16, 1914 Dallas Morning News.
At twelve stories, the Burk Burnett Building was still a skyscraper in 1918.
The Burk Burnett building today:
The building today houses Worthington National Bank.
Molding of the lobby.
Light in the lobby.
Looking up from the sidewalk at edge detailing on the first story and at the twelfth story.
Architectural detail of the cornice at the top of the building. Some of these details are similar to those that Sanguinet and Staats would use seven years later in the Hotel Texas.