These are the steps of Green B. Trimble Technical High School at the intersection of West Cannon and South Adams streets. But in a way, these steps also are at the intersection of Fort Worth architecture’s Four Fathers—the four men whose silhouettes can be seen clearly, if only symbolically, in our skyline.
This is the original Tech building (1918), built on the site of Fort Worth University. The Tech building was designed by Marshall Sanguinet and Carl Staats, the first two of the Four Fathers. If you dust Fort Worth’s classic buildings of the first quarter of the twentieth century, you’ll find the fingerprints—and the blueprints—of Sanguinet and Staats.
Sanguinet and Staat’s design for the Tech building was rendered into brick and mortar by two construction companies. One was headed by William J. Bryce, a Scots immigrant who would become mayor in 1927. The other was headed by architect and engineer Wyatt C. Hedrick, the third of the Four Fathers. Hedrick in 1922 would join Sanguinet and Staats as junior partner and take over the firm in 1925 after Sanguinet and Staats retired. Hedrick designed many of Fort Worth’s architectural icons, among them the T&P passenger terminal and freight terminal, the central post office, and the Will Rogers complex.
This school building, in its ninety-four years, has had three names. It began life in 1918 as Central High. Then it became Paschal High. And finally Trimble Tech High. And in those ninety-four years the building has been expanded several times. The first expansion came in 1927, when rear wings and an auditorium were added to the 1918 building. They were designed by Wiley G. Clarkson, the fourth of the Four Fathers. Clarkson designed several of our school buildings, the Sinclair Building, First United Methodist Church, the Masonic Temple.
But wait! There’s more . . .
In 2002 Fort Worth architect Ames Fender designed a technology wing for Tech High School. Ames Fender is the grandson of Wyatt C. Hedrick.
(These five photos are of the 1918 building.)