It’s unfortunate that folks who have a school named in their honor seldom live to see their namesake. An example is Charles E. Nash, who was born in 1861 in St. Paul, Minnesota, and came to Fort Worth in 1872 with his parents.
His father, Z. E. B. Nash, soon opened a hardware store on Main Street. (Photo shows the Nash building on East 7th Street.) Father and son developed the retail business into a wholesale business. Charles E. Nash also was a school board member. He died in 1917. Charles E. Nash Elementary School was built in 1927 on Samuels Avenue—the street Nash had lived on. Architect Wiley G. Clarkson did Nash proud with this Spanish colonial design.