Architecture in Cowtown is a marriage of classic and modern. Here are some classic structures juxtaposed against big blue boxes.
Courthouse (1895, Gunn and Curtiss).
Plaza Hotel (1908). The hotel, built by Winfield Scott, opened as the Inman Hotel. Scott spent $300,000 ($8.1 million today) on his Fort Worth buildings in 1908, including building the Inman and Terminal hotels and expanding the Metropolitan Hotel. That year Scott also built a two-story commercial building on the courthouse square, tearing down the two oldest buildings in town, built in 1859, one of brick, one of adobe.
Clock tower of the Intermodal Transportation Center.
Henderson Street bridge (1930).
Tombstone at Pioneers Rest Cemetery (1850).
Western Union Building (1931, James B. Davies Sr.).
Texas Electric Service Company Building (1930, Hedrick) and St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church (1912, Sanguinet and Staats).
Waggoner Building (1920, Sanguinet and Staats).
Woolworth Building (1926, Clarkson).
Blackstone Hotel (1929, Withers and Mauran, Russell & Crowell).
Bicocchi Building (1909) on Jennings Avenue.
Burk Burnett Building (1914, Sanguinet and Staats).
Texas & Pacific passenger terminal (1931, Hedrick).
City National Bank (1885, Haggart and Sanguinet).
Farmers and Mechanics National Bank (1921, Sanguinet and Staats).
Greater St. James Baptist Church (1918).