Answer: Change, of course. And in their time these four buildings have undergone a pocketful of change:
City National Bank was founded in 1873 by Martin Bottom Loyd. The bank built this building in 1884 but closed nine years later. From 1983 until 2010 the building housed Billy Miner’s saloon. The Loft store now occupies part of the building.
The building that Max Mehl built in 1916 for his coin shop is now a mixed-use apartment and commercial building.
The Grant’s dime store (1939) downtown is now The Library bar. The chain of stores founded by William Thomas Grant operated from 1906 until 1976.
The Mott’s 5-10-25 Cent store on East Rosedale is now the bookstore of Texas Wesleyan University.