The opulent Hollywood Theater was the third and last of the “movie cathedrals” to open on 7th Street’s Show Row, joining the Worth and the Palace on April 17, 1930.
The Hollywood building was built as an annex to the 1929 Electric Building. Both buildings were designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick in the then-popular art deco style. And both were financed by Houston capitalist Jesse Jones, who in the late 1920s went on a building binge—the Great Depression be hanged!—in a four-block area of downtown Fort Worth. His Fort Worth Properties Corporation built the Electric Building and Hollywood Theater, the Medical Arts Building (1927), the Worth Hotel and Theater (1927), and The Fair Building (1930, now home of the Star-Telegram).
This ad by the gas company in the November 27, 1927 Star-Telegram congratulated Jones on his first two Fort Worth buildings: the Medical Arts Building and the Worth Hotel and Theater.
President Roosevelt in 1933 would appoint Jones chairman of the federal Reconstruction Finance Corporation, making Jones so powerful that he was sometimes called “the fourth branch of government.” Jones also later was secretary of commerce.
The Worth Hotel and the Medical Arts Building in 1940. (W. D. Smith photos from Fort Worth in Pictures.)
Also on November 27, 1927 Jones announced plans to build the Electric Building between the Medical Arts Building and the Worth Hotel. Fort Worth Power & Light would be the primary tenant, but FWP&L would soon become “Texas Electric Service Company.”
On February 18, 1929 the Dallas Morning News announced that Jones would add a theater to the Electric Building, which was still under construction. Note that “the old Southwestern Hospital building” stood on the site of the theater.
On April 13 the Star-Telegram printed a two-page spread on the opening of the “palace of enchantment.”
This ad in the April 16 Press by Fort Worth Properties congratulated its new Hollywood Theater but shows a sketch of Fort Worth Properties’ The Fair Building.
The April 16 Press reported that the opening of the theater would be illuminated by floodlights and documented on film. The new theater would be christened with a bottle of water from Lake Worth. The article pointed out that the first movie, Flight, was “all-talking” and described the interior. The theater cost $250,000 ($3.5 million today).
This ad in the April 17 Press used the word sound three times. The Hollywood boasted that it was Fort Worth’s first theater designed to show only talkies.
The April 18 Star-Telegram described the opening ceremony as a “swank society night performance” attended by “five hundred invited guests, many of them in evening clothes.”
Also on April 18 Press columnist Jack Gordon described the opening of “Fort Worth’s newest movie cathedral” “in the best Hollywood premiere fashion.” The Plaza Theater he mentioned was at 110 East 10th Street. The Majestic was at 1101 Commerce Street.
Accompanying Gordon’s column was this “where to go” guide to local theaters. The Majestic and Hippodrome (1106 Main) were still presenting live performances. Note that in 1930 the Poly Theater was on Avenue F (Rosedale today) where the Varsity Theater would later be. (“2006” should be “3006.”)
Show Row: the Hollywood, Worth, and, out of view on East 7th at Commerce Street, the Palace.
This postcard shows the Hollywood Theater as the northern annex. To the left of the theater can be seen the 1914 Chamber of Commerce Auditorium.
By 1940 the Worth, Hollywood, Palace, and Majestic, along with the Bowie, Tivoli, Varsity, and Parkway, were Interstate theaters. (W. D. Smith photo in Fort Worth in Pictures.)
The Electric Building and Hollywood Theater annex today.
In 1976 the Hollywood Theater closed. But unlike the Worth (1927), Palace (1919), and Majestic (1911), the Hollywood building still stands, now converted into apartments. But the theater’s stage, canopy, foyer, hallway, lobby space, balcony stairs, auditorium doors, and six hundred seats of the auditorium survive. The manager of the building told me that “new ownership . . . has plans to take care of this theater and bring it back to life.”
Some views of some of the surviving opulence that was the Hollywood Theater:
The entrance on West 7th Street.
Details of the foyer.
Hallway from the foyer to the lobby.
Hallway ceiling light fixture.
Ceiling of the theater lobby.
Marble stairs to the balcony from the lobby.
Lobby ceiling detail.
On the balcony stairs looking into the lobby and auditorium doors.
Lobby wall detail.
The Hollywood Theater is now a drive-in theater. Well, in a way. The balcony is now a parking garage for tenants. Below are details of the ceiling of the Hollywood Theater balcony/parking garage:
(Thanks to the staff of the Historic Electric Building for access.)